Many people take advantage of the milder spring weather and participate in “spring cleaning.” This year, don’t forget about all the home’s plumbing features while you are working on getting your house in tip-top shape. It’s important to make sure everything has survived the cold winter months without damage. Here are some spring plumbing tips to ensure your home is up to par.
As soon as the temperature is mild enough, we all head outside to take advantage of it and check to see what kind of shape our yards are in. Here are a few tips on spring outdoor maintenance:
- Check drains, downspouts and gutters to ensure that they are free from debris
- Make sure there are no blockages like bird nests in plumbing vent pipes
- Inspect outdoor faucets and hoses to make sure water is flowing freely
- Outdoor faucets that are dripping may be an indication of a broken pipe – inspect closely
Appliances and Equipment
This is a very good time of year to double check all of your appliances. They can wreak havoc if they are not properly maintained or if they are not running properly. Here are some ways appliances should be inspected.
- Check the water heater and its temperature setting – to conserve energy it should not be set higher than 120 degrees
- If the hot water heater is over 15 years old, it should be replaced
- Make certain that there are no flammable substances stored near the water heater or the furnace
- Check other major appliances (dishwasher, ice maker, washing machine) to make sure the hoses are in good shape
- Replace any hoses that are showing signs of wear and tear or that are older than 10 years
- Clean the lint trap in the washing machine
- Drain the water heater and flush it out to ensure there is no sediment settling inside
There are several general tips for spring to help make sure plumbing is functioning properly. Here are a few tips on inspecting your home in spring.
- Check any exposed pipes for leaks
- Inspect the sump pump to make sure it works properly
- Install flood alarms
- Check floor drains and snake them if they are not draining properly
- Inspect for slow leaks in the home by checking the water meter before bed and again in the morning