There has been much argument over the last few years about the types of water heaters that should be used in the home. Some homeowners prefer the traditional water heater while others prefer to install a tankless water heater. Each type has its own pros as well as cons. Here is a brief comparison of these two types of water heaters to help you decide when it is time to make the purchase.
How does a traditional water heater work?
Both the traditional water heater and the tankless water heater run off of electricity, gas or propane and come in a variety of sizes. The traditional heater holds water in a large tank and keeps it warm all the time so that it is ready when it is needed. The tankless water tank heats the water only as it is needed rather than needlessly storing it for long periods of time.
Advantages for the tankless Water Heater
There are several advantages for homeowners who use a tankless water heater. Here are just a few advantages to this type of water heater:
- Only runs when there is a need for water – reduces energy cost
- Unit can supply endless amount of hot water
- Lasts for at least 20 years on average
- Takes up a lot less space
Advantages of the traditional Water Heater
Many people still prefer the traditional water heater over the new tankless models. Here are some of its advantages and perhaps the reason some homeowners still prefer them.
- Proven system that works well
- Usually costs much less (less than $300)
- Very simple installation
- More efficient models are available
Disadvantages of the tankless Water Heater
As with anything there are also disadvantages for many options. Here are some of the disadvantages to having a tankless water heater:
- Can be expensive
- Installing proper ventilation can be costly
- Needs special care
Disadvantages of the traditional Water Heater
There are also a few disadvantages to using the traditional water heater. Here are just a few of them:
- Heats water whether it is needed or not
- Can take up a large amount of space
- Storage tanks may not meet the demand
- Only lasts 11 to 15 years
These are the disadvantages and advantages for both the traditional water heater and the tankless models.